Thursday, May 9, 2013

Vegan Restaurant

I don't remember being to one of these before but while I was in Portland I took my daughter and her boyfriend to one of these. I ordered what was called a "Sun God" which was a fruit juice smoothie which consisted of something like apricot juice, mango juice possibly apple juice mixed with Almond milk. Then I asked for something that consisted of cooks beans and veggies. But, I found I like the beans best and I liked the sweet potatoes and also ate the cauliflowers and broccolli and left the rest.

If you want a definition of what Vegan means first you have to know whether the person is a cooked vegan or a raw vegan and then there are gradiations beyond even that.

This restaurant catered to most variations but also served cooked vegan fare as well.

Basically, if you are a vegan (generally speaking) you only eat things that are grown in the ground or sprouted like Alfalfa sprouts or other sprouts you might make in a jar. So, for example, almond milk would be okay and so would rice milk because they are grown.

Whereas if you were a vegan any meat or fish or dairy product or even eggs would not be okay to eat if you were to stay a vegan vegetarian.

I was raised (the first 32 years of my life) as a lacto ovo vegetarian. This was both good and bad for me. But, likely I might be dead now if I hadn't because when I had my heart virus in 1998 if I had had the clogged arteries that most people have by their late 40s I would have definitely died. So, I can say that I'm grateful to have been raised a lacto ovo vegetarian(veggies, milk and eggs) which is similar to many East Indian Diets. Because it saved my life when I was around 50 so I'm still alive at 65 today and able to write here for you still.(and drive and visit my kids and travel sometimes around the world).

No comments: