Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mt. Shasta and Sand Flats

 There's a little smoke on the mountain from a small fire nearby somewhere else. But I think they got it under control the same day. You can reach Sand Flats by driving up Everitt Memorial Highway from the city of Mt. Shasta and walking up the Lower Sand Flats road. However, I had to walk through alternate dirt road and snow all the way up from the parking area on the paved road which is about a mile or two. Today was warm enough to feel like a spring day 60 or 70s and the ground was warm from the sun where there wasn't snow. But, in order fort the snow to still be there this late in the year it must be below 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night somewhere in the 20s at this altitude. Sand Flats is likely between 6000 and 7000 feet in altitude.

I was trying to share with you a photo I took when I hiked up all the way to Sand Flats but, the internet at my hotel in Oregon wasn't fast enough to do photos. Maybe I will share later when I'm next to a fast enough wifi to do it.  We hiked up to Sand Flats on May 2nd 2013.

No comments: