Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge

I had hoped to ski and to stay at Timberline Lodge this time while in Portland like I did last time I was here with my daughter and possibly her boyfriend(They are both excellent snow boarders). I posted a couple of pictures last summer when we skied on the upper glaciers here at Mt. Hood. Yesterday, my daughter and I drove to Mt. Hood just to visit it because her boyfriend had been ill so she hadn't slept for a couple of days in order to care for him. However, as we sent him off to the doctor for a diagnoses we drove up for a few hours to Mt. Hood to buy some stuff in the Guest Shop there for my wife and other daughter back home in Northern California. It has been in the 80s all week so I was pretty surprised about that in Portland. So, I guess I also was surprised to see temperatures in the 50s Fahrenheit at Timberline Lodge even though I shouldn't have been. The snow is still all the way up to the Lodge this time of year from the top of the mountain on down and people are still skiing from the top lifts all the way down to way below Timberline Lodge still. (Timberline Lodge and the ski areas are open basically year around) but you should call ahead of time to see what is happening there in regard to mountain fog, white outs, or rain or heavy snow coming down before you go there. We had some really good Hot Chocolate while looking up at the mountain view and soup soup and chili while there. Then we went to try to drive down to Trillium Lake which has a really beautiful view of Mt. Hood but found the road was still closed with locked gates because the snow hadn't melted enough yet on the road to there. So, we headed back down to Portland and had dinner at a restaurant there with her boyfriend. He was happy to learn that it is not a bacterial lung infection through bronchitis and that he doesn't need to take anti-biotics yet, even though if he gets worse the doctor said to come get a prescription for some. This bronchitis seems to be all over Portland right now and the doctor said it usually takes about 3 weeks to get over.

If you want to see some photos of Mt. Hood and one from Trillium lake go up to the top left of the screen and in the blank search area put "Mt. Hood" into the search engine.

No comments: